Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Musings on Horror

I ask your forgiveness for this post. I am watching the coverage of the New Orleans disaster. I have never set foot in that city. I know nobody who lives there.

But they are mine. They are ours. Every last one of them are Americans. We are of one brotherhood.

And I wish to God that the news would stop calling them "refugees". My God, these people are Americans! People come to America for refuge. This is indeed the best country in the world. We were just so arrogant as to believe that we could hold back a very predictable (we knew of this risk at least since Hurricane Andrew in 1992 when New Orleans was threatened) uber-storm.

I can't make heads or tails of this. This is new. And it is wrong. This is what happens when we ignore threats. It is a lesson.

Because Americans aren't supposed to call one another "refugees". That is a cost too great to bear.

We love you New Orleans. My prayers go up to the Lord for you. Your disaster is ours. Your tears are ours. Your death is ours. But by the name of God, so is your life.

And so will your celebration be. I look forward to Mardi Gras in 2006. Don't you dare disappoint me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home