Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The White House as Editors

I couldn't get the Terry Moran haranguing of Scott McClellan which I discussed earlier today out of my craw. And then I remembered a time when it was just fine for the White House to go beyond asking the media to clean up its act, to actually threatening the media if they ran an unfavorable story.

Anyone recall the Juanita Broaddrick story? She alleged, at the height of the Clinton impeachment, that Clinton raped her back in the 1978 when he was Arkansas Attorney General. And NBC's Lisa Myers had interviewed her. But then, Joe Lockhart, White House spokesman at the time, personally called the networks and threatened them with unspecified trouble if they even dared to run the story.

And NBC acquiesced.

The story went beyond the widely believed rumors of presidential lechery and entered the realm of sex crimes. And because a Democrat president demanded that the press bury the story at a very critical time for him, they did.

Who's editing whom Mr. Moran?

NOTE:

I edited this because I originally described the harangue target as Joe Lockhart. Thanks to Ed Driscoll for the correction.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

standing and applauding at my desk. bravo!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too! Applause, Applause!

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home